Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Parties and Appetizers

The holiday season has arrived and the parties have started. Last night I attended a Christmas party with my parents that was hosted by some friends in our ward. Normally I'm not one to want to hang out with my parents at an adult party but having seen the pictures from last year which included my Dad dancing with a blue feather boa, I felt the desire to experience this party first hand.

Part of the party was bringing an appetizer or dessert. I took on this responsiblity for my family and made these yummy little bites called Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps. Sorry no pictures but they were delicious and here is the recipe.


Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps


1 ¼ pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
1 (1-pound) package sliced bacon
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons chili powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.

Cut each bacon slice into thirds.

Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with a wooden pick.

Stir together brown sugar and chili powder

Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture.

Coat a rack and broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minute or until bacon is crisp.


(from the kitchen of Melanie Bowers)

They are quick and easy and everyone loved them, especially the men. So I hope this can be helpful, and thank you Sister Bowers for the recipe!

Back to the party. Being in room full of people you have known for many years, some since you were 8 years old, acting silly is quite the experience. And I have to say, Mackenzie your Dad rocking out to the walkman he got in the white elephant gift exchange was hilarious. And becareful there is a new knife at your Dad's house that is very sharp. Don't want you to hurt yourself. Also Tina your parents added lots of laughs as contestants on the newly wed game. I think they only got 5 or 10 points. but they said that that was better than they thought they would do. And they also won an old kitchen sink. Nothing says Merry Christmas like really bad white elephat gifts. All in all it was a fun evening that kept me laughing.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Mmmmm! That recipe looks really yummy and easy! I'll have to try it sometime.

I know what you mean about seeing adults that you grew up around being silly and such. When Dan and I moved into the ward it was a shock sometimes to see how "normal" or maybe not normal so many of the 'adults' I had grown up thinking about them one way actually were...does that even make sense?

Megs said...

That recipe sounds delicious! And Chad love anything with bacon on it.